This is a typical IELTS Part 2 cue card question in the IELTS speaking test. There are many possible ways to respond to this question. Here are some tips for answering this IELTS speaking test question about a big company you are interested in.
- Introduce the name of the company and the industry it operates in. For example, Apple Inc., it’s a consumer technology company operating in the technology industry.
- What kind of company is it? What does it do? Is it a technology company, manufacturing company, pharmaceutical company, service company, retail company, financial services company, banking or investment company? Is it a national / international (multinational) or global company? How many people does the company employ? Hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands?
- Why are you interested in the company? You don’t need to be interested in working for the company, but maybe you would like to one day – however here are some other reasons to be interested in a company: you love their products you admire their innovation it’s the fastest growing company in your country it’s the only company from your country which is recognized globally a friend/family member works at the company
- How did you become interested in this company? Okay, so maybe you were attracted by their products and then gradually learned more information about the company. Maybe you would like to work at the company and you’ve done some research about their recruitment process and that’s why you’re interested in it. Alternatively, you might be interested in their corporate social responsibility program and what they’ve done for your community.
- What more do you know about the company? If you’re really interested in a particular company – then maybe you even know their corporate vision and mission statement or at least their slogan which you can talk about.
- What do you do if you can’t think of a company you are interested in? Okay, this one is a common problem – you know lots of big companies but there isn’t a particular one that you are really interested in. So what can you do? You need to answer the question. Get creative – think of a company you know something about and talk about it as if you were interested. Just address the bullet points on the topic card and you’ll be okay. Don’t worry too much about any details – keep your talk about the company general and just describe what you’ve heard about it or seen about it in the news.
Check these out...
The more you share the more you get!